Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Girl Power


My Girl Power group has ended for this year ... this week we took time to reflect.  The girls expressed that they feel more connected to school, they feel more connected to their community, they feel more connected to their family.  Some of the best comments I received from the girls: "I wish girl power never ended.  It made me my happiest", "I got rid of my shyness", "I loved everything about Girl Power", "Girl Power is the best thing that ever happened in my life".  Some girls did not have as deep or positive of an experience, some felt overwhelmed by the goals they set for themselves, so we processed that and we will take that into account for next time.  We took on a big feat.  Try to help 12 girls increase their self-esteem with out making them feel different.  Try to get them connected to their family and community.  Train for a 5K road race and have them lead a project to raise money.  It was a big thing, but it was so well worth it.  Every time I see them smile or run up to me (or their group members) for a hug ... you know it is worth it.
  
This sign was done in my office from the 12 girls, their hand prints and their own personal statement are on it.  I could not be more proud of them.  We went to a celebration ceremony tonight for school and they stood up in front of over a 100 people and proudly shared their accomplishments.  Their parents came ... to me that was the biggest accomplishment!  On race day we had 9 of 12 girls participate and on that day, their parents came.  These are big strides for these girls.  The group was a place for them to come and a place for them to belong.  I will summarize.
Girl Power.
They made friends.  They laughed.  They cried.  They screamed.  They ran.  They walked.  They held hands.  They hugged.  They spoke up for themselves.  They raised money for a good cause.  They made a goal.  They worked at it.  They finished it, together.

So very proud of them!

1 comment:

  1. Marybeth, I am so PROUD of you. These girls are so lucky to have met you as you have always been an inspirational woman. Good job lil sis! GIRL POWER!

    ReplyDelete