Saturday, May 30, 2009

Movie night

A few months ago we started "movie night" with Emma.  It was our way to allow her a special time with just Mommy and Daddy.  It has been going so well.  Last night in particular it made me get teary because as Rob was putting Julia to bed, Emma said "Ok, Mommy let's get our popcorn started and find our spots on the couch".  I sat back and watched my little girl fluff the pillows, fold out blankies then go to the cabinet and pick out our popcorn bowls (Pink for Emma, Blue for Daddy, and Green for Mommy) and then she lined them up and started telling me step by step what we needed to do next.  Now, it was not in a bossy tone (which we so often hear these days) it was in a "I know what to do next so I am going to show you how big and independent I can be tone".  Ah, she really is getting quite big.  But not too big because she still likes to snuggle up on the couch with us and will still share her popcorn when I ask :)  Oh, and yes for those wondering ... Emma is a BIG fan of popcorn and M&M's (we actually were all out of the M&M's last night so she didn't get them) but for those of you who have never tried it pour some M&M's in your bowl of popcorn, the warm popcorn gets the chocolate all melty but it's inside the candy shell so NO MESS :)  Sorry, D ... I know how much you despise this treat but for us it's just the best!
Today we had swim class and Jules is proving to fit her Zodiac sign to a T -- Pisces -- a water sign.  She absolutely loves the water, loves dipping her face in, loves tilting her head in, and wants to be able to jump into the water by herself.  She gives me a dirty look when I make her hold my hands -- hhmmmm, where does she get this from???  Emma on the other hand, not so much.  She clings onto Rob and would much rather float and blow bubbles then try to swim at all.  Today, Gracie who is usually just as timid as Emma, jumped in and went under water!!!!  It was great.  Although the classes are early on Saturdays, it's one thing we are doing with all four of us and it slows down our Saturday pace and an added bonus, Sara, Gracie and Maddie are at class too so we get to socialize afterwards! 
Later today we plan to take the girls for a much needed 'Snip-its haircut.  Emma's hair is growing like weeds and is a bit unruly with all of her waves and the bangs are just not working at all so we are going to try and let those grow out.  Julia's hair seems to grow lopsided (long on the right and short on the left!!) so hopefully we will get that evened out and they will be all prettied up for Quinn's first birthday party tomorrow.  
Just wanted to update the countdown too:  17 days of school left!!!!!!  
So beach weather here we come.  We plan to have lots of outings with the Sumners, up to Marblehead and Lowell, to RaRa's and PopPop's and Boogiedown with the Popottes, and with Michelle and Ethan at the beach!  Summer is great!


4 comments:

  1. HI.... we are home! I was so excited to get on and check out the blogs. I love getting the updates and here all about what the kiddies are up to! I love that you guys are doing movie night with Emma and it is so sweet that she is enjoying it so much. What an awesome way to slow down and enjoy the little stuff....like m and m s in popcorn. I think it is too sweet for Shelley, but it sounds like just the thing Zio Luigi would like!!!! It is so amazing to hear how she is getting her bowls all lined up and how she knows just what to do on her special night. For me, all of the firsts are the babies.....but I guess they are getting bigger, huh!!! Wow! I am glad to hear Jules is gabbing about ducks and geese and that she is digging her swimming class. Those under the pisces sign do love the water, so i can't say I am surprised. Plus, she is like a little walking dare devil. I missed you all so much while I was away and although, I was sad to leave the island and happy to be home and seeing the blogs.....he he! 16 days to go.....and counting! Big hug Love Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I love the tidbits section.... I like the idea of getting sound-bite updates all on all the Kerr happenings! April....hope your move went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I love your blog; your kids are adorable!!!!!

    I usually don't self-promote, but you should check out my new contest!! Being that you have kids, you might really enjoy it!!!

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary!
    We have no internet at home yet but I had a moment here at work. The blog is so cute and I miss you all!
    And I agree I love the tidbits! Thank you, the move went ok and I posted a few pics on my blog for you.

    ReplyDelete