Thursday, March 19, 2009

Country smells

Ok, I only have a minute because we are getting ready for our mini date ... Rob is making his drink of choice (whiskey and coke) as I type this ... but I just had to share a country woe ...
Yesterday we enjoyed the first glimpse of Spring here in the Northeast and with that, apparently comes, some extremely offensive country smells.
Yes, we have been here for 3 years, however we do not live with in a mile proximity of a livestock farm. We have many little farms on our road, but with in my little "neighborhood" we do not have these ... I am sorry but I have to write it, repulsive nasty disgusting MANURE producing farms.
Unfortunately, my work is directly in front of a very LARGE livestock farm and I was fortunate to be on maternity leave last year so I missed this spectacular, or should I say spectacle, last year (Thank you very much Julia ... and as Rob said ... maybe I will have to be on maternity leave every Spring ... seriously I might consider this an option to avoid the raunchy nasty cow dung).
My co-workers thought it was hysterical that the city girl was unfamiliar with Manure. Now I am not unfamiliar with manure, I am unfamiliar with the scent of manure that literally makes you think you are walking inside a cow's butthole all day!!!!!!! Seriously, it is perhaps the most disgusting scent ever. So much so I have been compelled to begin research to see whether or not we are inhaling gases that are hazardous to our health (my research has been limited but found that there could be some concerns). Now I know that you all now that I can tolerate a great deal and try to be a trooper but this Manure issue has me really thinking I may be boycotting work and using up the last of my sick days until this clears. My coworkers say this is just the beginning ... many of them have sarcastically replied to me "oh this is nothing wait until the flies come". What the F people, how can this possibly be acceptable??????? Rob tells me that this issue has been going on since he was at school there!!!! I might just have to employ the everyone wheres a gas mask at school policy until this sh*t clears!
Ok, I am sorry to go off on a tangent and to expose this subject to those who may never have to deal with this kind of issue but I am in a Manure explosion at work and I had to share!!!

3 comments:

  1. Marybeth, you crack me up!! I love reading your blog, we are sooo much a like! I sooo wish we lived near each other and could hang out each and every day...I can almost SMELL the manure just from reading your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! That is a very interesting sh%t story. I am so sorry. You can smell it in the school? You know what is nuts...my Mom likes that smell. Crazy, right? How long is it supposed to last?

    ReplyDelete