Friday, January 16, 2009

We're All in this Together

Today I thought I'd post about work ... since yesterday was a very good and moving day I wanted to share it with you.

I am very happy to report that we had a very successful Tolerance assembly. I feel this is notable news because, as many of you know, I was (to put it mildly) traumatized by the November assembly experience where I had 400 children moshing in the middle of the gym! But with the help of a great support team and guidance of the more experienced administrators/teachers we were successful in having 400 children dance, sing and pledge to be Tolerant of all people. It really was quite moving to see them stand up all togheter and hear them sing "We're All in This Together" from High School Musical (which we adapted to have Cougars in place of Wild Cats) (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zzbB17Fvo). Now believe me, we did not choreograph a Grammy performance but the message was delivered by the students that THEY are ready to stand up and pledge to be tolerant! On another note, as support staff we were quickly jolted back to reality that maybe it is the adults we need to be educating on tolerance not the students! Unfortunately when you have events like this it stirs up different issues for adults and sometimes they do not behave appropriately (read - they pick apart the minor flaws). So, although the message was wonderful and delivered with out any major chaos, the adults need a bit more time and perhaps education around how to be tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment