Monday, August 24, 2009

Sometimes you just have to laugh



Both Emma and Julia have become quite the little people this summer. Emma is still completely enthralled with "princesses" and dressing up in anything of mine. And now, Julia is starting to follow suit, putting on my high heels and taking off all of her clothes ... hmmm, hopefully this is a short lived trend for her!

This morning I woke up a bit groggier than usual (could be from Rob and I spending the day at Sharpe Hill Vineyard and tasting 10 wines!) so that meant whatever Emma wanted to play I just obliged. Today it was "Makeup Doctor". Yup, that's right. She chose and named this new game. She asked if she could put make up on me, I quickly said "no thank you sweetie" so she put back my blush and eyeshadow but then spotted my body lotion. She said, "Mommy, how about I put this magical lotion on you to make you look better". HMMMM ... well OK, that could work. I felt pretty tired so maybe she's onto something.

So for 30 minutes I sat on my carpet in my bedroom, while "Dr. woohoo" (her new pseudo name she created) gently squeezed out shea butter and oatmeal lotion. She started with my arms and all the while saying things like "Oh, you have a hurt arm. This magic lotion will make it all better." Then moved onto my face "Oh, your face is broken. This magic lotion will make it all better." And then she decided that I needed a full "medical" check up and said she was off to get her tools, a Screwdriver and a stethoscope. This is when I sat up ... what do we need a screwdriver for? She says, "I will put the screwdriver in your mouth so then you won't have a hurt mouth". I think my little 3 year old got a bit confused but I had to chuckle. So I said, "well I don't think I need a screwdriver, that's what Daddy uses to fix things around the house". She then assertively looks at me and says "The Doctor will fix you. Lay down." And then squeezed more lotion out and rubbed it all over my forehead. But from there this is what made me laugh. She got the stethoscope out and said "Now don't cry. This only sounds loud" (This is funny because this is Emma's big fear, she hates new noises and she was preparing me!) So I did what any good Mommy would do ... I began fake crying. She then said "No no, it's ok." and rubbed my face (so sweet), but then the more I began to "cry" she got annoyed and then simply put her hand over my mouth! She said "I need to hear your arm. Be quiet!". How can you not laugh at that! She tried to be comforting and then like any 3 year old decided, ok Mommy I don't like the game you made so I am going to put my hand over your mouth to keep you quiet.

Never a dull moment with the mind of a 3 year old.


No comments:

Post a Comment