Sunday, July 5, 2009

Truths from a 3 year old

So, we had a wonderful rainy vacation in the mountains. It had it's ups and downs and was not with out some jaw dropping moments, such as Emma saying to me "Mommy why do you have a fat belly?". YUP -- my precious 3 year old dumps that one on me after we just had a fun time in the bubble bath that she had begged us to have! What payback. There were so many thoughts running through my head in that instant:
  1. WHAT?????
  2. Gee, thanks!
  3. My belly really isn't fat, is it?
  4. Emma, go to time out!
  5. Gosh, I hate that kids are so objective.
  6. One day she will know.
So, instead, I looked at her and handed her a towel and said "Emma, my belly is not fat". She responds "Yes, it is" and proceeds to push her finger into my pillsbury dough belly ... so at that moment I had to accept, well yes to a 3 year old I do have a fat squishy belly. Fortunately Rob came to my rescue and said "Mommy had to fit you and Julia in her belly. One day you will have a belly like that too". Thanks babe ... is that a compliment or what? He he he. But truth be told, us women do have some squishy bellies, even if we work out and eat well. That is what happens with age and with childbearing, I just wish my daughter could learn the old adage "If you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all". We really have been practicing this with her but she's just not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment